Monday, May 18, 2009

Another Week - Ending Sunday May 17

Started out with a Mothers Day ride on the Greenfield Ridge, followed with dinner and festivities at Steffi's. Good ride, even if I did forget my shoes, good group, and generally good times. Low key post-race-day ride. For some reason the computer didn't record the track, but probably 10 miles in an hour and a half or so.

Monday, I headed to Hawley for a work session. I worked on Moody Springs Rd and started up the climb to the spring (or the switchbacking dh as we usually ride it). Really rough in there!

Wednesday, I snuck out 2 rides. In the morning Tom, Nick (NCC), Liam and I did a nice figure 8 through Earles and Batchelor's. Did about 9 miles at a pretty quick pace Max HR 176 - average 137. In the evening, we did the usual Wednesday night Bikes Unlimited group ride, again in Wendell. The most common loop tonight starting on the XC heading to Carlton Dirth, down to the Hiatus, up the Escape, across Maple Leaf and Down the Nipmuck. At the top of Baker Rd, the group split with Matt and I taking the adventurous down the Hannah before returning on the fire-roads to HQ. Another nice 9 mile ride - Max 174, average 142.

Thursday evening I got in an hour or so in Hawley in the rain. Worked on the Divide Trail.

Friday, not much going on, packing for the Weekend etc.

Saturday - picked up Jeff at the Crew Race in Salisbury CT. We drove to Winsted and pre-rode the course, nasty conditions - like riding in a cloud. I kept having to stop and clear the glasses, hoping the conditions would improve before the Sunday Race.

Sunday - Winsted Woods Rt66 Race. Rained all night Saturday, making the course another mud bog - seems to be a pattern this year. Matt was again racing with the Pros while Jeff and I were both running Cat 2. Jeff promised to best my time for the day, though I don't think any of us believed it. Having watched the nasty bits during Matt's race, I planned to take it easy on lap 1 and let the field wipe themselves out in the muck. Seems that strategy worked pretty well, only missed first in the age group by a couple seconds as the lead rider crashed on the last DH before the line. I didn't have a clue I was that close till I saw him walking through the tree gap as I hit the last few rocks. Another 10 yards before the line and I would have had him! Sure is nice racing 50+. Great group of guys, most of them really nice on the course.

No comments:

Post a Comment